Source: Japan Times (Japan)
Pubdate: 02 Nov 1998
Student dies of caffeine overdose
MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. (AP)
A 20-year-old man died after swallowing dozens of over-the-counter
caffeine pills on a dare from a fellow community college student.
Jason Warren Allen had swallowed most of a 90-pill bottle, which would
be the equivalent of drinking as many as 250 cups of coffee,
"It's a terrible, terrible story," said Morehead City police Major
Wrenn Johnson. No one suspects caffeine to be deadly."
Allen was taking general education development classes at Cateret
Community College. He collapsed outside the college during a break
from class Oct. 20. It wasn't known when he took the pills.
A security guard found him and called the rescue squad, which took him
to Carteret General Hospital, where he died Wednesday.
November 2, 1998